Thursday, September 01, 2005

First Wave

I knew it would hit me sooner or later, but it hit me pretty hard today. I had my first real wave of homesickness/sadness at around noon and it's lasted throughout the day. I've been thinking about all of the people I've left behind. I've been thinking about not being able to just drive over and see my mom and dad or Sheila and her family, or Lynn's parents and grandmother. I've been thinking about the house we loved so much belonging to someone else in a few weeks. Being all alone here, knowing no one, sitting in my quiet, little apartment every evening...it's starting to wear on me. I'm glad Lynn is going to be here Tuesday.

When we were in Columbus, GA we part of a truly amazing church family surrounded by friends who we enjoyed being with and who loved and cared for us deeply. We moved to Illinois and didn't really know anyone there other than our families, but we had our families nearby, which was wonderful. Over the last three years we grew to love so much people like Dave Hayden, Matt & Ann, Dan & Joan, Joe & Amber, the Lynches, Dennis & Di, and so many others. I flipped through the pictures on the newprairie.org website and re-lived a lot of wonderful memories in my mind.

Now I've moved to a place where I really don't know a single person. Sure, I'm around people all day, every day at work...but it's all business. I long to be able to hang out in somebody's living room with a bunch of people drinking coffee and watching a stupid movie.

I hope God helps us to make new friends quickly here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home