Thursday, November 03, 2005

My Reformation

I am experiencing a spiritual reformation of sorts. In this reformation I’m finding myself laying down some things that I once considered very important. And I’m picking up some things that I once either had no interest in or was reluctant to pick them up.

I’m laying down the need for my faith and my ministry to be categorized. We Christians tend to do that. We’re broken up into two main categories; Catholic or Protestant. But then we categorize even further. If you use a band and Powerpoint on Sunday morning, then we categorize your church as “contemporary.” If you use an organ and sing out of hymnals, then we categorize your church as “traditional.” If you strip away everything that looks and feels religious and replace it with secular music, drama, and sermonettes then we categorize you as “seeker-sensitive.”

I’m even laying down the need to label myself “Christian.” What does that term mean anyway? Ask most non-Christian people what a Christian is and they’ll tell you that a Christian is someone goes to church, reads the Bible, is a narrow-minded, hypocritical bigot who spends more time talking about what they’re against than they do talking about what they are for. When the term was coined it was a derogatory label then too pinned on the radical followers of Christ by the pagans of Antioch. But then the label was truly a badge of honor because it meant that the Christians looked and acted like “little Christs.” And today, there are so many (myself at times) who wear the label "Christian" yet look very little like "Little Christs." If someone asks me about my faith, I’m becoming less-inclined to say that I’m a “Christian” and more inclined to say that I’m a “disciple of Jesus Christ.”

I’m finding less and less of a need in my life to be categorized. There was a time when I would turn on Christian television and see a praise and worship service with a Hillsong team or the team from Lakeland and be spiritually moved. Now, I am moved to tears when I close my eyes and meditate along with the Chaplet of Divine Mercy; a totally Catholic liturgy that wraps our minds and hearts with the truth of God’s overwhelming mercy toward us. I remember my first spiritual retreat to the Hermitage in Rushville, IL. Every morning and every evening I would spend an hour in the little chapel silently meditating along with the liturgical morning and evening prayers sung and read by Catholic monks. Then I would spend several hours surrounded by miles and miles of forest, trees, streams, and wildlife…and I’d sense God’s presence and voice all around me. For me those were profound times of touching God’s heart in a new way.

I’m also picking up some things. I’m picking up an appreciation for the spiritual heritage we have in ancient Christianity. There was a time when I would immediately think of horrible things like church corruption, the Crusades, the Inquisition, etc. when I would think of the Medieval church. But if you look deeper you see a spiritual passion and devotion and radical sense of mission that far outweighs what I often see today.

I particularly am drawn to the spirituality of the Celts who came to Christ and led the barbarians of Western Europe into becoming communities of faith. St. Patrick has recently found his place among my spiritual heroes. Everything they did was a violation of the “church code” of the day, yet it was revolutionary…bringing an entire continent into radical relationship with Christ.

I believe God will one day allow me to lead another congregation. And my prayer is that it will be such that if someone were to ask the question, “Are you contemporary or traditional?” I’ll be able to answer with a simple “yes.” “Are you seeker-sensitive or believer-centered?” “Yes.” “Are you Catholic or Protestant?” “Yes.”

I don’t know why God chose to begin this reformation in me. I don’t remember asking for it specifically. Perhaps, like any good Father would, He is responding to the cry of a heart that desires deeper places of intimacy with Him than I’ve experienced thus far.

8 Comments:

At 4:31 PM, Blogger ann said...

Bill,

I've been reluctant to respond to this post because I don't want anything to seem insensitive. But, I assume you're ready for constructive criticism or you wouldn't have posted this on your blog. Let me know if you want to know my opinion...either on email or on this forum.

OK?

 
At 11:45 AM, Blogger Bill said...

Hiya Annie!

Of course you may respond here. Just keep in mind that what I write about here in this post is part of my own personal spiritual journey, not a statement of what others should or should not experience in their walk with Christ.

The essence of what I said is that God is much bigger than any of the "labels" I've chosen to wear over the last 20 years of following Christ and I long to experience intimacy with Him in ways that aren't confined by the "rules" of any "label" other than the Lordship of Christ.

 
At 12:17 AM, Blogger ann said...

Bill, I know you are saying this is part of your spiritual journey. If you feel good about it, that's great. For some reason, I just don't feel good about it. I don't feel threatened because I know you're not requiring this journey of me. Anyway, here are some of my thoughts on your recent posts, including this one:

First, having been raised Catholic, I think you need to be careful what you're getting into with not classifying your stance as either Protestant or Catholic. Catholic teachings promote some things that are not at all Biblical (Mary's intercession for us, purgatory, etc.), though the typical Catholic person cannot tell you this because they are not encouraged to read the Word. I believe there is a dichotomy here and these two are mutually exclusive categories. I know you are shunning categories but it is either one or the other.

I'm seriously concerned that you're being led into an area that Paul described in 2 Thessolonians chapter 2 where he describes a “falling away” from the truth. I say this because of your original posts about people painting and listening to music, etc. instead of being fed the Word of God by a spirit-filled pastor.

All of this talk of people doing their own thing and whatever "best connects them to God" just seems to be an attempt to change Jesus to whatever pleases our particular flesh patterns, rather than trying not to walk in our own flesh and our own understanding. “Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.”
(Proverbs 3:5) Do you think that God's people attemping to connect with Him in new or unique ways would classify as leaning on our own understanding? I think so. I believe that God reveals himself through teachers, prophets, etc. and His Word. Anything else seems like us trying to paint God into a box – probably a box that is comfortable and convenient for us.

I'm sure you've heard these arguments before. You've probably read the books and done the research but I know this new church movement is tailored around a spiritual experience, like yours with the Chaplet of Divine Mercy. However, it is my experience and feeling that a heavy reliance on experience and feelings is not resulting in the authenticity that you are striving for. Do not get me wrong. When a person comes to Christ and repents of their ways, they should experience something -- something very powerful. But, please understand that I don't think it's the feeling of grace or the feeling of mercy is what saves you. It's the grace itself. It's a truth, not a feeling.

Also, whatever you do, it's human nature to put a category to it. Of course, you may reject the name "protestant" or "catholic" but I'll use the name "emergent" to describe you.

If modern Christianity is failing the (post) modern generation, why has it worked up until now? I think, instead of turning toward postmodernism and blending everything together as if all roads lead to God, we need to return to a more basic Christianity...by reading the Bible -- not by drawing and journaling whatever God reveals to you. God has already revealed things in His Word and we don't even know that like we should. Why reject it and burn candles/incense instead?

 
At 1:18 AM, Blogger ann said...

Well, as is often the case, I sound kind of narrow-minded.

You know, though, that I'm not the type to just abandon art, etc. I just wonder about its place in church, especially if it replaces teaching.

 
At 11:01 AM, Blogger Bill said...

Your point would be valid and well-received, if I had actually made such a statement.

A careful re-reading of my ramblings here will show that never, ever have I suggested that art should replace teaching.

I have said, repeatedly, that art, music, writing, whatever gifts and talents God has given us can and should be offered to Him as expressions of worship, even as we gather together in corporate worship.

Everything God enables us to do, He does so with the hope that we will use it to worship him. I've simply said that the church should make room for people to worship Him through the talents He's given.

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger Bill said...

To remove art from "church" would be to remove Michaelangelo's work from the Sistene Chapel, to reject Rembrandt's worship of God through his masterpieces, to reject Handel for composing the Messiah, to reject all of the hymn writers for worshipping God through writing poetry, to reject the iconography of the ancient church that was used to communicate the message of Christ to illiterate pagans. All expressions of worship that have enriched our heritage...gone...illegitimate.

What's the difference between someone standing in a congregation and giving a testimony orally...or standing and giving a testimony illustrated by a painting...as Rembrandt did with "The Prodigal Son."

Does the placement of a painting in their hands render their testimony illegitimate? Must we ban people from writing a poem of worship and then sharing it with the Body as we gather?

Just thoughts.

 
At 12:38 PM, Blogger Bill said...

If you read my first post about "The Church In My Mind" you'll find very clearly in there that in that scenario there is a time devoted to the teaching of the Word by a pastor.

Not sure how you came to the conclusion that I was dismissing the need for preaching and teaching. (shrug)

 
At 12:41 PM, Blogger Bill said...

Actually, you have to go to "I'm Giving Up On Church (part 2) to see that specifically.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home