Wednesday, November 02, 2005

The Church In My Mind; Brandon's Second Visit

“I’m having to unlearn certain popular values to become a LIVING DEMONSTRATION of God’s “One Thing” for me: Putting God first, family second, and career or church next.”

“Our business product is revolutionary – people who have been invaded by the supernatural force of the Holy Spirit.” ~Mike Slaughter; Unlearning Church

Two more excellent quotes from the pastor of Ginghamsburg Church that will take us back to Brandon and his second visit to The Church In My Mind.
__________________________________

After visiting church with my friend last week I decided to go back with him again and see what else this church was all about. Same routine. We got off work, drove to the meeting place and walked in to another great meal waiting for us.

As we sat around tables eating together I noticed several faces that I didn’t see last week. I asked my friend about it and he said that there were new people showing up every week. This kind of puzzled me because I don’t remember seeing any advertising for this church and it’s not all that easy to find unless you’re specifically looking for it. “How do people find this place?” I asked.

My friend answered, “We don’t invest much into slick marketing campaigns or big signing. Not that there’s anything wrong with those things; we just feel that they are much less effective compared to the power of people simply living out in their lives what they profess when they’re here.

We believe that we are the aroma of Christ. And if we are truly in intimate relationship with Jesus Christ and are in authentic relationship with one another then we become irresistible to people who are looking for healing and purpose in their lives. They see it in ours and are easily drawn to us. Almost every visitor you see is here because the people of our church live lives of authenticity and see themselves as missionaries wherever they live and work. They make space in their lives for people who are far from God.”

“So that’s why you invited me?” I asked.

“I invited you because I’ve gotten to know you at work and you’re a great guy to be around. But yeah, I sensed from our conversations that you feel like something is missing in your life. I know that God is that missing piece, and I know that the people I’ve invited you to come hang out with have all found it,” was his reply.

He was right. About that time another guy came and introduced himself to me and asked, “Are you going to be able to make it to The Gathering?”

“What’s The Gathering,” I asked.

“Every month all of the churches that have been born out of this place come together for a giant meal and worship time,” was his answer.

“You mean there are more places like this?” I asked.

“Well, not exactly like this. But over the last couple of years 6 people have heard God’s call to ministry and have left here to start daughter churches around the city. One meets in a bar after-hours. One meets in a coffee-house. A couple are meeting in one of the conference rooms at the pastor’s business. They’re all a little different; reflecting different kinds of people, but yeah, they all started from here and the pastors are all still being discipled by our pastor.”

I couldn’t believe how passionate these people were about seeing changed lives. For them, church was all about one thing: Living passionately what they believe and lovingly sharing it with everyone they encounter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home